Electerical Safety Tips for Households & offices

Protect your family from fire and other electrical hazards by using this short checklist. These simple and easy steps will help you to identify and to correct electrical dangers commonly found in homes.

1. Check the wattage of all bulbs in your lights.
• Are the bulbs the appropriate wattage for the size of the fixtures? A bulb of too-high wattage may lead to fire through overheating.

2. Check all lamp cords and extension cords.
• Are cords placed out of the walking areas and free of furniture resting on them? Tripping hazards may result. Also, stepping on cords or placing furniture on them can cause damage and create a fire hazard.
• Are cords in good condition (not damaged or cracked)? Shock or fire hazards can result from damaged cords.
• Do not attempt to repair cords yourself. Take any item with a damaged power cord to an authorized repair center, or safely dispose of the item and purchase a new one.
• Are cords unwrapped? Tightly wrapped cords can lead to overheating.
• Are all extension cords being used only on a temporary basis? Extension cords are not as safe as permanent house wiring. Have receptacles installed where they are needed.

3. Check all wall outlets and switches.
• Are all outlets and switches working properly? Improperly operating outlets or switches indicate that an unsafe wiring condition may exist.
• Are all outlets and switches cool to the touch? Unusually warm outlets or switches may indicate an unsafe wiring condition exists.
• Do you hear crackling, sizzling, or buzzing from your outlets? Call a licensed electrician to identify the cause.
• Are all outlet and switch cover plates in good condition? Replace any missing, cracked or broken cover plate.

Electerical Safety in Rainy Season

Check outside electrical switches if they are exposed to rains. Cover them immediately to stop penetration of rainwater and fix water seepage in electrical room and in generator room to avoid electric shock. Any damaged electrical cords should be replaced without any delay. If you feel uncomfortable while making additions or changes in electrical supply, consult a professional or electrician.

For getting electerical safety audit at your plant or building you may visit Elion Technologies at www.elion.co.in

Electerical Safety Tips

Wiring, outlets, switches, circuit breakers and other electrical devices are the leading cause of fires and fire deaths. Here is a list of some of the tips for fire prevention, based on the most common causes of fires:
• Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
• If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
• Try to avoid extension cords. If you feel an extension cord is necessary, make sure that it is not frayed or worn. Do not run it under carpet or around doorways.
• Never overload a socket. The use of “octopus” outlets or “power bar”, outlet extensions that accommodate several plugs, is strongly discouraged. Try to limit one high-wattage appliance into each individual outlet at a time.
• If a circuit breaker trips or a fuse blows frequently, cut down on the number of appliances on that line. In many older homes, the capacity of the wiring system has not kept pace with today’s modern appliances and can overload electrical systems. Some overload signals include: dimming lights when an appliance goes on, fuses blowing frequently or shrinking TV picture.
• Assure there’s plenty of air space around home entertainment units such as the TV and stereo to avoid overheating.
For getting electerical safety audit at your plant or building you may visit Elion Technologies at www.elion.co.in

Electrical precautions Safety tip

If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord. Do not use electrical equipment outside if it’s raining. Do not use any electrical items in the bathroom unless specifically designed for use there, e.g. Shavers. Even with these items however, take care not to get wet and avoid plugging and unplugging with wet hands. Most important thing switch off electrical items that are not in regular use at the plug and ensure that when we are away from the house for any length of time that you unplug and switch off electrical items as items left plugged in can be a fire risk and waste energy if left on standby.

For getting electrical safety audit at your home, plant or building you may visit Elion Technologies at www.elion.co.in