- In case of fire due to short circuit, first switch off Main switch but Don’t use water.
Do not use any appliance that has a frayed cord, exposed wires, melted plugs or burn marks on the prongs. Repair or replace damaged cords and plugs, or discard for safety sake.
Never use metallic pencils or rulers, or wear rings or metal watchbands when working with electrical equipment. This rule is very easy to forget, especially when you are showing some electrical part pointing with metallic pencil.
Never try repairing energized equipment. Always check that it is de-energized first by using a tester. When an electric tester touches a live or hot wire, the bulb inside the tester lights up showing that an electrical current is flowing through the respective wire. Check all the wires, the outer metallic covering of the service panel and any other hanging wires with an electrical tester before proceeding with your work.
Do not touch or tamper with any electrical gear or conductor unless you have made sure that it is DEAD and EARTHED
Cables to be installed on walls shall incorporate a sheath suitably resistant to any mechanical damage likely to occur, or to be contained in a conduit system or other enclosure affording adequate protection against such damage.
Always Know where your overcurrent devices are (i.e. circuit breakers and fuses) so they can be easily and quickly reached in case of emergency.
Electrical,Fire,OHSAS,HSE,Machine Safety and for any kind of Safety Audit and Training you may visit http://elion.co.in/safety-audit.html
They have expertise auditor with experience more than 25 years.
So, you’ve been living in your home for several years now and even though it is over ten years old, you’ve never run into a problem – and you’ve certainly never heard of anyone you know having an electrical fire or getting electrocuted.
Other than flickering or dimming lights when you turn on the vacuum cleaner, you have experienced nothing remarkably dangerous, right?
Millions of people think this way – they tuck away the thought of addressing the hazards immediately. They know they should and will get to them soon… eventually… just as soon as they… whatever.
Procrastination is very typical amongst us humans, isn’t it? We are not going to do anything until absolutely pressured into it!
We all know though; delaying action rarely helps any situation. Black mold growing in a bathroom or rotting wood on a deck are obvious signs you must take action soon. A recurring tooth pain will get worse and will eventually overwhelm any procrastination and/or fear of going to a dentist. A howling baby demands an immediate and effective reaction. Ignoring squeaky brakes in your car can result in a catastrophe if not addressed now.
Of course, the common element of these problems is that you know about them. There is a visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory (it stinks!) or taste aspect of the developing problem and you soon will have no choice, but to act!
Unfortunately, the hazards of old and outdated electrical wiring, outlets, switches, breakers, panels, etc. do not present obvious signs of deterioration. They are invisible since they are most often behind walls or within the devices themselves.
Electrical terminology sometimes describe the events leading up to an electrical failure as ‘faults’ – as in ‘ground faults’ or ‘arc faults’.
Ground faults are a result of improper grounding in an electrical system. Since electricity is always trying to go to ground (literally the earth beneath our feet) along the path of least resistance, it may find another wire – or family member – as most convenient for its journey.
This can result in disastrous consequences of fire or electrocution.
An arc fault is what you would commonly know as a short or a spark in a loose or incorrectly wired electrical connection. It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to see how this can lead to fire.
These perilous conditions develop as a result of years of deterioration in all things electrical in your home. It is important to note that these devices, wiring, fixtures, safety features and the methods to install them were state-of-the art back when your home was built or renovated.
However, as technology races at break-neck speed, the old services are straining to keep up with the demand of modern appliances and other electrical devices.
Much like airplane crashes, our governments learn from, and legislate new rules and regulations to prevent, the disastrous consequences of outdated electrical devices and practices. A parallel discovery was that most fire related deaths occur not as a result of fire directly, but from inhaling poisonous fumes after the victims are rendered unconscious in their sleep. This revelation gave rise to the regulation that requires smoke detectors to be installed immediately outside bedroom doors. They must also be powered by the AC current from your home with battery back-up. Additionally, they must all be wired together so they all scream danger when smoke becomes present anywhere in the house.
Since both of these changes in the Code were implemented, deaths arising from electrical fires were reduced dramatically.
Fire in Kolkata market: 19 dead, 50 injured; –>Cause Electrical Short Circuit!!
Please Ensure at your home and office your are using proper plugs and yearly inspection is done.For Electrical Safety Audit visit