Electerical Safety Tips

Wiring, outlets, switches, circuit breakers and other electrical devices are the leading cause of fires and fire deaths. Here is a list of some of the tips for fire prevention, based on the most common causes of fires:
• Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
• If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
• Try to avoid extension cords. If you feel an extension cord is necessary, make sure that it is not frayed or worn. Do not run it under carpet or around doorways.
• Never overload a socket. The use of “octopus” outlets or “power bar”, outlet extensions that accommodate several plugs, is strongly discouraged. Try to limit one high-wattage appliance into each individual outlet at a time.
• If a circuit breaker trips or a fuse blows frequently, cut down on the number of appliances on that line. In many older homes, the capacity of the wiring system has not kept pace with today’s modern appliances and can overload electrical systems. Some overload signals include: dimming lights when an appliance goes on, fuses blowing frequently or shrinking TV picture.
• Assure there’s plenty of air space around home entertainment units such as the TV and stereo to avoid overheating.
For getting electerical safety audit at your plant or building you may visit Elion Technologies at www.elion.co.in

Safety Tip for first responders around fallen power lines

You cannot tell if a downed power line is energized just by looking at it. Even if the line is not live one moment, automatic switching equipment may restore power to the line without warning. So treat downed power lines and anything in contact with them as energized. When you arrive at the scene, park your vehicle well away from any downed lines. Stop traffic and keep people away. You cannot help anyone if you are injured or electrocuted. Never touch anything that is in contact with a downed power line, including injured or trapped victims, puddles, vehicles, or trees. Do not use a dry stick or piece of hose as they will not protect you. Call the power company immediately and wait for the power company representative to confirm that it is safe to approach the scene.

To get your Power Line Safer visit www.elion.co.in the Safety Expert

What is Fire Audit?

It is a process in which unsafe conditions and acts in the facilities and environments are identified and suitable remedial measures are suggested to prevent or reduce the likelihood of a fire in order to prevent accidents and to save human life, property from damage, production loss and also to enhance the company’s goodwill.

For more details on fire audit visit www.elion.co.in

Fire Audit should be Made Mandatory to avoid such incident

Khanna mill fire rages on
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
Amritsar, June 14, 2012

Email to Author

First Published: 12:04 IST(14/6/2012)
Last Updated: 12:11 IST(14/6/2012)
share more…
0 Comments email print
The fight with the fire at Khanna Paper Mills continued for the second consecutive day on Wednesday, with it showing no signs of ebbing. Though no casualty has been reported, the mill owners have pegged their losses at Rs. 150 crore.
Deputy Commissioner Rajat Aggarwal, who has been

keeping a close eye on the incident, said: “We are continuing to maintain a vigil inside and around the mill, as flames are still bellowing out of the heaps of waste paper.” Describing the situation as under control, the DC said 39 fire tenders were battling the flames after more than 24 hours.
The primary target of the administration is to ensure that the fire does not spread to the residential area behind the factory premises, Aggarwal said. He made it clear that there was no loss of human life.

In a joint press conference along with police commissioner RP Mittal and mill director Suneet Kochhar, the DC said, “The fire broke out around 1:15 pm on Tuesday and an alert was sounded within 15 minutes. Looking into the nature of the fire, about 50 fire tenders were rushed in from various districts of the state. And to control things further, the army was called in and support was taken from the airport.”

The aim was not only to control the fire but also ensure security to the houses close to the mill complex. Residents have already been evacuated, Aggarwal said.

On the status of fire, Aggarwal said, “If winds do not blow, we will be able to extinguish it completely within the next 24 hours.” And, though the situation looked better on Wednesday, the authorities continued to monitor the operation closely. A four-member team from the fire-fighting wing of Ministry of Home Affairs also reached the spot to assess the situation.

On the possible cause behind the fire, the DC said: “The reason behind the fire is still not known. Our priority is to save life and property. We will definitely look into the reasons once the fire is extinguished.” The Administration will also assess any loss to the residential area close to the complex and follow the procedure for compensation in case of any damage, the DC added.

On a question on any advisory being issued to the mill regarding precautions for residential areas close to the complex, the DC said: “Everything will be analysed and action will be taken.” Since the police have made a DDR entry of the incident, police commissioner RP Mittal said, “Investigation will be done only after a complaint is made.”

Meanwhile, stressing that the company had suffered a loss of Rs. 150 crore, Director of Mill, Suneet Kochhar said, “About 75,000 tonnes of paper has been destroyed in this fire. Our production is closed and no dispatches will be made for the next 10 days at least.”

When asked about the reason behind the fire, Kochhar said, “We have no objection to any investigation. We, on our own part, are investigating the reason behind the fire.” The fire is an eye opener for the entire state, as it points towards an urgent need to upgrade firefighting facilities.

Fire Safety Audit Tips

Be aware that if a fire threatens your home, you should not place the call to emergency services from inside the home. It is better to get out and place the call to fire authorities from a safe location outside the home. If someone gets burned, immediately place the wound under cool water for 10 to 15 minutes. Seriously injured victims should be transported to professional medical help immediately.

For getting fire safety audit at your plant or building you may visit Elion Technologies at www.elion.co.in